Saturday, November 19, 2011

Music and its Influence

We all know music shapes many of life's experiences...it takes us back, gives us chills and brings out all sorts of emotions within us. Music also inspires and motivates us.

Recently, I've been listening to various types of music and each style bringing out something different in me. It has inspired me to dwell into different types of art that vary from geometrical and abstract, to simple and colorful. I tend to get so many ideas, that it's hard to decide on which to actually put on paper and/or canvas; but it's those images that come to mind more than once, that I decide to go ahead and pursue. As of late, the music I've been listening to a lot, has been by artists such as:

Apparat
Little Dragon                               
Beth Ditto
Booka Shade
ceo
The Chemical Brothers
Matias Aguayo
Dam Mantle
Dan Black
Jónsi
Ellie Goulding
Deadmau5
Madonna
Florence + The Machine
Gustavo Santaolalla
Kelis
M83
Passion Pit
The XX

There are a BUNCH more...but these have definitely been very prominent in my iPod. I listen to these artists and music in general before going to bed, while I take a shower, on my way to work, on my way home from work and when I get home for the day. I don't know how I would be, or better yet, how we all would be, without music. Dick Clark said it best: "Music is the soundtrack of our lives" - very true. There are particular songs that bring back specific memories, remind me of specific people, occasions, etc.

Anything dealing with music is very appealing to me. When I go to concerts, I'm the type of person who likes to get there early and once I'm in my seat, I don't like to move at all...not even to get a drink...I don't want to miss a thing. My favorite part, is when the lights dim and the crowd goes wild with anticipation of the show just about to start. Here's an example of the perfect feeling of anticipation at a concert...of course, none other than Madonna:




My dream is to become a DJ...it would have been completely awesome to be a DJ traveling the world, but I'll settle for the simple experience of being the DJ at one of my parties or a friend's party. I have done so by creating specific playlists, but I'm talking about learning the DJ equipment and the whole nine yards!


Since iTunes came about, I've been addicted to it. I look for music literally everyday. It has come to the point that at times, songs come on my iPod and I don't recognize them. They take me by surprise...I don't remember purchasing these songs; but I see it as a VERY pleasant and unexpected surprise. I love it when that happens! The anticipation of the next song, the next soundtrack, is what keeps me going and keeps inspiring me.

No comments:

Post a Comment